The given question is a challenging GMAT 700+ level quant problem solving question testing concepts in permutation combination (counting methods). A very interesting practice question to understand how to list down possibilities and then count outcomes for each of those possibilities.
Question 22: A student is required to solve 6 out of the 10 questions in a test. The questions are divided into two sections of 5 questions each. In how many ways can the student select the questions to solve if not more than 4 questions can be chosen from either section?
The student is required to solve 6 out of 10 questions.
Questions are divided into 2 sections of 5 questions each.
Not more than 4 questions can be selected from any section.
|Section||Possibility 1||Possibility 2||Possibility 3|
Possibility 1: Section 1: 4 Questions | Section 2: 2 Questions
This can be done in 5C4 × 5C2 = 5 × 10 = 50 ways
Possibility 2: Section 2: 3 Questions | Section 2: 3 Questions
This can be done in 5C3 × 5C3 = 10 × 10 = 100 ways
Possibility 3: Section 1: 2 Questions | Section 2: 4 Questions
This can be done in 5C2 × 5C4 = 10 × 5 = 50 ways
Total number of ways = 50 + 100 + 50 = 200 ways
21. GMAT 700 Level Sample Question in Counting Methods
22. GMAT Hard Math Arithmetic | Permutation Combination - Selections | GMAT Problem Solving
23. GMAT 700 800 Level Question | Arithmetic | Counting Methods Problem Solving
24. GMAT Hard Math | Arithmetic | Number Properties Sample Question
25. Geometry | Coordinate Geometry DS Practice | GMAT Challenging Math Question
26. GMAT Data Sufficiency | Challenging Number Properties & Inequalities Question
27. GMAT DS Sample Question | Statistics | Mean Median Range
28. GMAT Challenging Question | Arithmetic | Numbers & Progressions DS
29. GMAT 650 Level Algebra Question | Polynomials
30. GMAT Hard Math Questions | Arithmetic | Number Properties DS
GMAT® is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). This website is not endorsed or approved by GMAC.
GRE® is a registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This website is not endorsed or approved by ETS.
SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.
Wizako - GMAT, GRE, SAT Prep
An Ascent Education Initiative
48/1 Ramagiri Nagar
Velachery Taramani Link Road.,
Velachery, Chennai 600 042. India