The given question is a challenging GMAT 700+ level quant problem solving question testing concepts in number properties. Concepts covered: Factorials and Prime Factorisation of numbers.
Question 24: If y is the highest power of a number 'x' that can divide 101! without leaving a remainder, then for which among the following values of x will y be the highest?
It is clear that all the answer options given are composite number. So, the divisor is not prime.
Step 1: Prime factorize the divisor, ‘x’ in this case.
Step 2: Compute the highest power of each of the prime factors that divides n!
Step 3: The highest power of x that divides n! is determined by the power of that prime factor which available in the least number.
Key Inference: The value of 'y' will be the highest for such an x whose highest prime factor is the smallest.
Option A: 111 = 3 × 37. The highest prime factor of 111 is 37.
Option B: 462 = 2 × 3 × 7 × 11. The highest prime factor of 462 is 11.
Option C: 74 = 2 × 37. The highest prime factor of 74 is 37.
Option D: 33 = 3 × 11. The highest prime factor of 33 is 11.
Option E: 210 = 2 × 3 × 5 × 7. The highest prime factor of 210 is 7.
210 is the number which has the smallest value of the highest prime factor among the 5 given options.
So, the value of y will be highest for 210.
21. GMAT 700 Level Sample Question in Counting Methods
22. GMAT Hard Math Arithmetic | Permutation Combination - Selections | GMAT Problem Solving
23. GMAT 700 800 Level Question | Arithmetic | Counting Methods Problem Solving
24. GMAT Hard Math | Arithmetic | Number Properties Sample Question
25. Geometry | Coordinate Geometry DS Practice | GMAT Challenging Math Question
26. GMAT Data Sufficiency | Challenging Number Properties & Inequalities Question
27. GMAT DS Sample Question | Statistics | Mean Median Range
28. GMAT Challenging Question | Arithmetic | Numbers & Progressions DS
29. GMAT 650 Level Algebra Question | Polynomials
30. GMAT Hard Math Questions | Arithmetic | Number Properties DS
GMAT® is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). This website is not endorsed or approved by GMAC.
GRE® is a registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This website is not endorsed or approved by ETS.
SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.
Wizako - GMAT, GRE, SAT Prep
An Ascent Education Initiative
48/1 Ramagiri Nagar
Velachery Taramani Link Road.,
Velachery, Chennai 600 042. India