This GMAT Problem Solving practice question tests basic concepts in solving algebraic expressions comprising absolute values and elementary concepts in number properties.
Question 12: If x and y are integers and |x - y| = 12, what is the minimum possible value of xy?
x and y are integers and |x - y| = 12
Squaring both sides, we get (x - y)2 = 144
x2 + y2 - 2xy = 144
Add, 4xy to both sides of the equation.
x2 + y2 - 2xy + 4xy = 144 + 4xy
x2 + y2 + 2xy = 144 + 4xy
Or (x + y)2 = 144 + 4xy
(x + y)2 will NOT be negative for real values of x and y.
i.e., (x + y)2 ≥ 0
∴ 144 + 4xy ≥ 0
Or 4xy ≥ -144
So, xy ≥ -36
The least value that xy can take is -36.
11. GMAT 700 Level Sample Question in Statistics
12. GMAT Hard Math Algebra - Absolute Values | GMAT Problem Solving
13. GMAT Challenging Question | Statistics Problem Solving
14. GMAT Hard Math | Arithmetic | Permutation Combination Sample Question
15. GMAT Challenging Math Question | Arithmetic | Number Properties DS Practice
16. 700 800 Level GMAT Word Problem | Number Properties & Equations Problem Solving Question
17. GMAT DS Sample Question | Geometry | Triangles
18. GMAT 700 800 Level Question | Coordinate Geometry & Permutation Combination
19. GMAT Hard Math Question | Algebra | Difficult Equations Question
20. GMAT Hard Math Questions | Arithmetic | Number Properties DS
GMAT® is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). This website is not endorsed or approved by GMAC.
GRE® is a registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This website is not endorsed or approved by ETS.
SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this product.
Wizako - GMAT, GRE, SAT Prep
An Ascent Education Initiative
48/1 Ramagiri Nagar
Velachery Taramani Link Road.,
Velachery, Chennai 600 042. India